Kid’s Metal Detectors – What Are The Best Metal Detector For Kids
Perhaps one of the most exciting things that you can do with your children is to head outdoors on a treasure hunt.
This is true not just for your kids but also for the adults present.
When you are young, everything seems so much more interesting and thrilling.
The Best Metal Detectors For Kids 2018
This is a comprehensive list of some of the top rated for kids metal detectors that would work well for your child. These are perfect in terms of height, weight, and complexity.
What is ideal about the Bounty Hunter Junior metal detector is that it has been specifically designed for children.
First, this metal detector weighs only a little over half a kilo. It also extends all the way up to about 68 cm.
This means that children as young as six years old will be able to use and enjoy this product.
Furthermore, there is not a lot of intricacy involved with the Bounty Hunter junior metal detector.
It consists of the coil, stem, and control box.
The control box consists of a target indicator and two knobs.
The knobs can be used to customise it to avoid any unnecessary items. The other advantage is that there is just one tone – a beep.
It merely gets louder the closer you are to the object.
- Can find coins up to 15 cm
- Easily adjust power and sensitivity
- Option to avoid trash
- Suitable for young children
All in all, the Bounty Hunter Junior detector is as perfect as it gets for your little one.
You will easily be able to get them excited about metal detecting with this machine.
Even better, they will be able to handle every aspect of the detector by themselves.
- Metal detector mainly for children which detects coin-sized objects up to 5 inches deep and larger objects up to 3 feet deep
- Target indicator meter measures signal strength and the signal increases in volume as targets get closer
- Discrimination control eliminates iron and most unwanted items
- 6 1/2 inch Closed Weather Resistant Coil
- Lightweight, ergonomic design for easy, comfortable handling
The Maplin Beginners Metal Detector is as simple as possible.
In fact, this metal detector looks quite old fashioned and does not have any fancy digital technology to make it confusing.
There are just three knobs, which you can use to adjust the sensitivity.
There is also an option that allows you to discriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous items.
The readings are displayed in two ways.
The first is with the meter and pointer.
The second is through noise. The rod can also be adjusted to accommodate children of all ages.
Although this detector weighs about a kilo, the weight is evenly distributed so that it does not feel heavy.
Additionally, it is easy for a child to hold and mange this detector.
- 16.5 cm coil that is waterproof
- Can tell between ferrous and non-ferrous items
- Equipped with battery level indicator
If you choose to set it up for your child, all they then have to do is simply move the metal detector over the ground.
It really is as easy as that for them.
Just by looking at the view box, they will be able to tell whether or not they are getting close to the treasure.
- Discriminates between ferrous and non-ferrous metals, Adjustable sensitivity, 16.5cm waterproof search coil, View meter and pointer, Adjustable height
- Detector only
Visua is a company that produces professional metal detectors.
The Visua VSMD52+ Beginner Metal Detector is well built with the added advantage of being perfect for children.
This is largely due to the no fuss controls and the analogue display.
There is just one adjustment knob on this metal detector.
Nonetheless, it is still quite a good detector, able to discriminate according to the type of metal being detected.
It can also detect objects from 16 cm to 20 cm beneath the surface.
The rod can be adjusted anywhere from 55 cm, all the way up to 79 cm.
The coil is waterproof, which means that your child will actually be able to search for treasure in shallow water as well.
- Waterproof, 19 cm coil
- Comes equipped with headphones
- Analogue display
- Adjustable stem
The benefit of getting the Visua Beginner metal detector is that it will grow with your child quite easily.
Furthermore, as it is quite sophisticated despite its simplistic controls, you will always be able to find some use for it.
- The VSMD52+ is a perfect starter model. Simple interface and easy to use. It has adjustable discrimination control, volume control, battery indicator, analogue display and an audible tone indicator.
- The extra-large 19cm shielded concentric waterproof search coil with separate transmission and receiving coils gives better depth of detection, ground coverage and enables you to search in shallow waters.
- This Visua model is able to differentiate between metal types by varying the discrimination. Depending on the type of surface, it will detect items somewhere at a depth of between 16cm and 20cm. Fully adjustable shaft extending between 55cm up to 79cm (distance from the handle to the search coil.)
- This kit also includes Headphones and AA Batteries to get you started.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Please remember to test the product outside and away from obvious areas of metal. Houses have an array of metal items inside (pipes, cables, radiators etc.) so you will more than likely get strange results if you test the Metal Detector indoors.
The Amzdeal Lightweight Metal Detector may look quite fancy but it will prove to be quite easy for your little one to manage.
This is due to the simplistic analogue display and just having three knobs to handle.
Nonetheless, you will still be able to set it so that it will be able to identify and discriminate between different kinds of metals.
The shaft can be adjusted from 85 cm to 115 cm.
It comes with an arm rest that your little one can comfortably settle into.
This will help to take some of the weight out of carrying the metal detector.
Also, the coil is waterproof, allowing you and your child to search for treasure even when it is raining.
- 5 cm, waterproof coil
- Audio and visual identification
- Simple control box
- Adjustable height
With the Amzdeal, you will actually be able to provide your little one with a quality product.
However, they will find it incredibly fun and easy to use.
At the same time, they will have a much easier time finding buried items, in particular finding the type of objects that they actually want.
- ★All-Metal Mode &Discrimination Mode - There're two modes for choosing, all metal mode and disc mode. With the former, all metals will be detected, while you can use the latter one for discrimination, thus iron, zinc, coin can be discriminated. Details will be listed below description. It is good for coins, jewelry, prospecting, shallow water hunting, beach hunting.
- ★HIGH SENSITIVITY - Metal can be detected once coil approach it, and there's beep sound to remind you. The greater the movement of the pointer, the closer the distance from the metal. Rocks, minerals will disturb detection. Plumbing and metal appliances in room will affect the test results.
- ★WATERPROOF - Both the adjustable stem and the coil at the end are waterproof, so you can search for lost metal items at the bottom of a shallow pool or stream. But the display panel should be carefully away from water, or it will be damaged.
- ★VOLUME &POWER - There's an audio jack provides you a chance to search treasury in noisy street or beach, free of being disturbed and the volume can be modulated. Low battery indicator shows when batteries are needed. If there are any problems during the installation, please contact our customer service for installation and operation guidance.
- ★FLASH LIGHT - It will show flash light when metal was detected and the height of stem is adjustable for 33.5 to 45 inch. Offers 24-month warranty, quick replies in case of problem, and instant refunds.
Weighing only around 1 kilo, the Duramaxx Waterproof Metal Detector is quite light, even for someone who is quite small.
The height of the shaft can be adjusted from 102 cm to 132 cm.
While this is a great beginner metal detector, it is probably better for a child who is just a little older.
This metal detector for kids is great at discerning between ferrous and non-ferrous objects.
It also helps to better locate targets that are buried beneath the surface.
In fact, you should be able to find objects up to 4 metres below the surface.
Additionally, the coil on the metal detector is waterproof, which means that you will be able to take it to the beach with you.
- 21 cm, waterproof coil
- Target ID button
- Audio and visual indicators
- 4 metres in depth search
- Adjustable stem
For its price, you are actually getting a lot for this Duramaxx metal detector.
Both you and your child will be able to take turns using it, being able to be equally satisfied with the results.
This is perfect for the little metal detector who wants to take their detecting up a notch.
- Large, 21cm waterproof search coil for use on beaches, etc. | Distinction between ferrous and precious metals (discrimination / Tone adjustable) | Target button quickly locating found objects
- Light weight and support structure for the arm for long periods of use | Up to 4 meters in depth search for large metal objects
- Can connect headphones to the device - adjustable volume of the acoustic signal | Adjustable sensitivity | Automatic adaption to the soil/Auto-calibration
- The Duramaxx metal detector is extremely robust and durable, and its 21cm-wide search coil promises accurate searches over a wide radius.
- The device can also be fine tuned when necessary, allowing you to avoid detecting scrap metal and other unwanted objects. It's lightweight and ergonomic form, adjustable rod length, and waterproof search coil allow for use both on land or underwater.
How to buy a metal detector for kids
If you are looking for metal detectors for kids, there are a few things you may want to consider first:
When you look at the weight of most metal detectors, they may actually seem quite lightweight.
However, you are only considering this from your perspective – with the heft and the strength of an adult.
Depending on the size of your child, they may not be able to handle a lot of weight. If you choose a metal detector that is too heavy for them, they may not be able to hold it properly.
Either that, or they will not be able to wield the detector for too long.
Therefore, you should typically try to find the lightest detector possible or figure out just how much your little one can carry.
This means experimenting at home with how much weight they can handle and for how long. This will give you some idea of the weight range that you should be shopping for.
Much like with the weight restriction, children will be unable to adequately manage a metal detector that is too long or tall for them.
Luckily, however, most metal detectors come with rods that can be adjusted to varying lengths.
Still, you should take some careful measurement and do some calculations before springing for a detector with an adjustable stem.
Each metal detector can be shortened only so much, so it is important to make sure that this matches your child’s height.
This is especially important if the detector comes equipped with features like an arm rest.
The quickest way to ensure that your child gets bored and gives up is to make a task too hard for them.
What you need to remember is that the more features a metal detector has, the more difficult it is to master and use.
Contingent on how old your little one is, they may not have the attention span or the understanding to be able to deal with complex technology.
This is why you should stay away from fancier models, even if they do have a higher accuracy rate.
Instead, try to make sure that all your child has to do is simply turn on the detector and use it.
If there are settings, they should be able to be easily manipulated by a kid.
To make it easier to find what you are looking for, you will find a list of the best metal detectors for kids below.
These all have features and characteristics that are suited to smaller and less patient individuals.
Children are still at that age where being a pirate or a treasure hunter seems like a very possible occupation.
Giving them the tools to live out this dream is definitely one of the best things that you can do for them.
It would also be good for you as a parent or a guardian to be inspired by the whimsy and excitement that you can observe in the children.
While you may be looking for silver or gold, children will find any and all objects valuable.
For them, treasure can be anything from bottle caps to coins.
Of course, part of the fun is actually letting your little one handle the metal detector themselves.
Following the above tips will ensure you and your child will be able to have hours of fun with any of these metal detectors, often in different settings and environments as well.
If you have any questions, drop me a message in the comments section below.